Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Happy New Year!

The American White Pelicans are such gorgeous, graceful looking birds. They are spending the Winter months on Old Hickory Lake again this year.


I thought I would begin the New Year with some images of these beautiful birds. There are about 100 or more Pelicans living right off one of the rookeries that sits in the middle of the lake. At any time of the day you will find groups of Pelicans swimming and feeding around the tiny inlets and coves that make up Old Hickory Lake.


It's interesting to watch them as they feed because they synchronize their diving maneuvers. And as one goes down for a catch, the others follow suit.


This particular image is my favorite shot. I would have loved it if the water wasn't rippled, but it's a huge lake right off the Cumberland River and the chances of that ever happening are slim to none.


I have been battling bronchitis for nearly a week, but am starting to get well. I sleep at odd hours as the coughing keeps me up most of the night. I trust everyone had a wonderful Christmas and a safe and Happy New Year's Eve. I watched the ball drop in New York's Times Square from my living room and then watched the Music Note in Nashville drop from my bedroom. I wish all of you the best wishes for the upcoming year and hope this one proves to be your best. HAPPY NEW YEAR!

8 comments :

  1. Ripppled reflections, every one is truly beautiful. We didn't hear any celebrations, and didn't stay up to herald in 2019. Hopes that it is peaceful, happy, and safe for us all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I watched the music note drop from my bedroom television. It was a cold wet night here in Middle Tennessee. I wish for you and yours the very best of New Years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant Pelicans, gliding along the waterways. Beautiful images.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bob for stopping by. I love these birds. Carol

      Delete
  4. These are wonderful shots! My favorite is the same as yours...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So you glad you like them Rose. Such graceful creatures. Carol

      Delete
  5. Wonderful photos, Carol. Did you shoot them from a boat?

    I hope you are feeling better. What a way to start the new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shot them from land as they swam close to shore. I am slowing feeling better. Happy New Year. Carol

      Delete