Friday, May 4, 2018

Japanese Gardens, Gibbs Gardens, Kentucky Woman Series

Beautiful Gibbs Gardens, located just to the northeast of Atlanta, has to be one of the most architecturally beautiful botanical gardens I have ever seen. The Japanese Gardens, called Tsukiyama, is the largest Japanese garden in the nation encompassing some 40 acres. The ponds in this particular garden are all spring fed. But I think what really makes this garden are the reflections you find at every twist and turn along the garden path. Come take a walk with me . . .


As I meandered around both sides of the ponds that make up the Japanese Gardens, I couldn't help noticing just how meticulous every morsel of plant and stone and tree was planned and designed to create this breathtaking landscape. Mr. Gibbs my hat goes off to you. Yet, on the afternoon I visited with ample sunlight in tow, I couldn't help but realize one of the reasons for all the planning.


Can you see it, the reflections on the water are simply gorgeous. As I approached one setting after another, it wasn't enough to capture a portrait view, I had to capture a landscape too. Who knew what I would like more when I found myself miles away back home carefully sifting through the images.


Without a doubt, I recall spending an hour or more capturing photographs of the various settings as I walked the many paths and crossed over the ponds and walked around each one. It was an explosion to my senses.


As if the reflections on the water were not enough, I happened upon this scene with a Weeping Willow tree situated next to the largest pond. The foliage around the tree and the huge boulders sitting next to the water's edge was just gorgeous. Oh, how I love Weeping Willows.


Right when you think you can't take in another thing, you happen upon a Japanese lantern sitting idly on top of a large boulder with gorgeous twisted tree branches in the background.


Did you notice how the foreground is a treat to your eyes, but the background is so beautiful of the foliage across the pond on the other side. Tell me someone didn't spend hours planning this. What a genius!


Just to be absolutely certain I didn't miss a thing, I captured a landscape view of this setting.


I wanted to end this post right back where we began. Look at this gorgeous plant with those beautiful sculptures of Swans sitting atop it right in the middle of the largest pond in the Japanese Gardens. The Weeping Willows, the pagodas, the lanterns, the sculpture, oh my goodness, have you ever.

Now I ask you, have you ever seen such a gorgeous garden in your life. This was my first visit to a Japanese Garden, and it won't be my last. I can't even imagine what Gibbs must look like in early Spring and Fall. If you ever find yourself in Atlanta, take a quick drive up to Gibbs. It's virtually in the middle of nowhere in a tiny town called Ball Ground, just south of the north Georgia mountains. You could stay in one of the 'boros northeast of Atlanta and its a quick drive up. I hope you have enjoyed this installment of my Kentucky Woman Series. I simply had the most fun creating it for you. It was as though I had stepped back into the garden for a walk. 
Have a fabulous weekend. ENJOY MY FRIENDS!

Linking to Saturday's Critters and The Scoop

2 comments :

  1. Hello, I love the gardens and the pretty sculptures. Lovely photos and post. I am sorry to be so late commenting. I just got home from our road trip and I am now trying to catch up on my commenting. Thanks so much for linking up your post. Have a happy day and weekend ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carol - I share your enthusiasm for the beauty of this garden. I have seen several large gardens in the UK that were planned by a true landscape designer, one who works with the topography and the water courses to create magnificent vistas. It is one of my favorite ways to spend a day, and now I feel like I have been to Gibbs, thanks to you!

    ReplyDelete