Monday, August 13, 2018

A Wattle and A Snood

As I drove around the Elk and Bison Prairie recently, there were flocks of wild Turkeys foraging in the meadows. Most were off in the distance, but several were close enough to photograph. I cropped one image that caught my eye. I don't know why but a Turkey's brightly colored head has always been fascinating to me. His wattle, the fleshy skin that grows under his throat, is pink and bright red at the end. I read blood pools in the wattle when a Tom wants to attract a hen.


I read that Turkeys are a form of pheasant. I also read that the Tom's gobble while the females make a clicking sound. Also, that fleshy skin that grows above their forehead is a snood and also pools with blood when Tom is on the hunt. It appears from my photo, that Tom is definitely on the hunt for a lady. A new week is upon us, and need I say it, a new season is around the corner. Oh, Fall where art thou. Please bring us cooler temps soon. ENJOY!

2 comments :

  1. He is going to be a very busy boy.Those colours should attract even the shyest of ladies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he's just styling. He doesn't need any makeup that's for sure. Carol

      Delete