Sunday, July 22, 2018

The Weight of Water & Photographing It


Getting up close and personal with fast moving water and getting the shot, well it's not that easy. Here's a few images I captured throughout the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. These images were taken over a span of about six or seven years.


It's not just about the water, it's really more about the perspective. You can have too much noise in your image. All that does is take away from the feeling a reader gets when they view the image. It's about the scene itself and the relationship it has with the water. The way the water falls over the rocks is a vital element.


This image is my favorite water shot of all. I captured this image no more than 100 steps in on the Porter's Creek Trail in Greenbrier. It may seem like there's too much noise in this shot, but the way the rocks and the foliage frame the image, and the drama of that water flowing so beautifully over the rocks, well, it's just perfect.


Sometimes the focal point screams at you as in this image. A perfect cascade with water spilling over the rocks and leaving a wake of wispy whiteness all around. It screams serenity to me.


And then you encounter the tallest waterfall in the Smokies. Mingo Falls, in Cherokee, North Carolina, along the eastern most point of the Smokies. It's not only the tallest, but it's also the most difficult waterfall to position oneself in order to get a decnt image. I chose to shoot the top half and then the bottom. The bottom was more interesting with the water falling over the large boulder and  the forest trees hanging over in the foreground.


I had never attempted this type of image before. However, the scenery left and right of the Oconaluftee River in this image was just right. So I shot the water from the back side of the flow. It feels a tad serene.


Couldn't believe my eyes when I happened upon this waterfall coming down off a steep mountainside next to the road leading back to Tremont several years back. It took some maneuvering of the tripod to get this perspective, so much so one of the legs was sitting in the stream below the shot. There's so much green in this image even in the moss on the boulders. So decreasing the density did no good. It's just all green foliage and the water.

Photographing moving water is difficult. I have archives of bad images to show for it. Shots with the water not falling off the rocks nicely, too much noise in the background or no real focal point to grab the attention of your reader. 

Here's a few tips I know helped me. First, perspective is the most important thing. Getting the right water falling off the right boulders with the best scenery around it is essential. Second the flow of the water over the rocks or boulders. If it's not falling beautifully, then there's little impact to your reader. Third is how the water lands as it falls. The best way I can describe what I mean by this is for you to go back to the fourth image. See the wispy water after it's fallen over the rocks. What a focal point. Sadly, you may have all of those things, but no place to position your tripod legs. It happens.

My best advice, just keep at it. I have wanted to share this collection for some time. I hope you enjoyed it. I'm not an expert at shooting water. I'm a novice.

Have a wonderful rest of the weekend all and a great week. ENJOY!

2 comments :

  1. I like the view of the stream with trees either side, but every one is beautiful, and as you describe them, I can understand tripod problems, once I was low down on huge boulders and used a homemade camera bean bag.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping Jean. I am so glad you love the one of Oconaluftee River. It's a beautiful river right before you get to Cherokee in the Smokies. Hope you are having a wonderful weekend. Carol

      Delete