Sunday, August 5, 2018

'Cracking Art' at Cheekwood

A visit to Cheekwood's Cracking Art exhibit has been on my schedule for some time. Cracking Art is an art and nature exhibit by a Milan-based artist collective. The large scale art installation features animals in striking colors displayed throughout the gardens. The installations are synthetic and made from 100% recycled plastic materials.


The Robert Ellis Color Garden featured a stunning display of Caterpillars in bright colors with each  surrounded by a bed of flowers and plants.



Surrounding the blue Caterpillar were gorgeous Agaves. They were stunning. What a terrific way to accent the Cracking Art.



The giant pink Caterpillar has to be one of my favorite in the exhibit.


On my walk to the Willis Perennial Garden, I looked back at the Robert Ellis Color Garden. If I didn't know any better, I would have sworn the gardens were being taken over by giant Caterpillars.



The canopy off the Robert Ellis Color Garden was filled with Summer plants in pinks and maroons and purples. But what I really loved was the Cracking Art Birds dangling from the canopy in bright colors.


Lions and tigers and bears! No, just Bears were featured in the Japanese Garden. I loved the huge red Bears that dotted the landscape.



Large green Wolves greeted me near the Carell Dogwood Garden. It was as though they were standing at attention next to tall green shrubs. While I didn't get to see all of the Crackin Art exhibit, as the weather was very, very hot, I hope to get back to Cheekwood before the end of the exhibit to see the rest of the animals. What I did see was incredible.

This particular Cracking Art exhibit was curated by Stefano Papetti Elisa Mori and Giorgia Berardinelli. There are six artists that originally founded the Cracking Art movement in 1993 in Italy, with the sole purpose of changing the history of contemporary art. The term 'cracking' comes from the process used to create the materials that form the synthetic installations that make up the animals in the exhibit. You can read more about Cracking Art here, Cracking Art.

Have a wonderful evening everyone. ENJOY!

Linking to The Scoop

2 comments :

  1. Wow!!!! They are amazing, and the colours, so hard to have a favourite, but the blue caterpillar would be my pick there, down here, we could easily have the two green wolves at the bottom of the driveway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aren't something Jean. I had fun looking at them. They were huge and the sun just made them brighter and bigger. Carol

    ReplyDelete