Thursday, March 1, 2018

In the Bluegrass State: Kentucky Woman Series

The Kentucky Bluegrass area is like no other place to visit in the States. As you travel the back roads, along the designated Kentucky Scenic Byways, you pass famed horse farm after horse farm, and you soon come to realize just how beautiful this area really is. Horse barns are painted in reds and greens with most all of them beautifully adorned in various styles of cupolas.


On this particular drive on a beautiful Summer's afternoon, I happened upon this gorgeous scene along the byway. Vintage, stacked limestone fencing, a large pond with tall Cattails and a sweeping Weeping Willow tree decorated this property with this beautiful horse barn featuring multiple cuplolas. Stunning is all I could think of as I stood photographing this landscape.


As I meandered along the byway, I passed this beautiful scene of hay bales scattered all throughout this farm field just waiting to be scooped up and hoisted onto a long trailer for safekeeping elsewhere.


Driving around the Midway area all along the byway, I took in the beautiful Bluegrass horse farms. I stopped in my tracks, however, when I happened upon this black stallion grazing aimlessly in this clover covered field. He was such a gorgeous subject to photograph. Did you know it's not easy photographing horses because they constantly swish their tails back and forth.


Just for good measure, and knowing full well I had several images of foals laying around in the fields or sticking close to Mom, I wanted to add this image. This foal was sticking very close to its Mom and never ventured far from her as I stood capturing images. This obviously was taken on another trek to the area in early Spring when the foes are plentiful to photograph.


Farther along the byway, I passed this large black barn with a metal roof sitting off in the distance. Tobacco plants were growing high in the field and hail bails were resting off to the side of the farm road as I stopped to photograph this image. It was mid to late Summer so the tobacco fields were nearing ready to put up the crops. Did you know putting up tobacco is a hard, hard job and quite tedious to say the least? I remember when my family visited my great uncle's farm in Marion County, Kentucky, and watching as they completed the time intensive and quite labor intensive putting up of the tobacco.


On a side road, very near to Keeneland Race Track just outside of Lexington, I happened upon a field of dairy Goats grazing in the warm Summer sunshine. A cute brown and white one kept an eye on me as I stopped to capture images. Aren't they adorable?


As a Kentucky born woman, now living in Tennessee, I am reminded of my visits to Midway and Lexington as I browse my archives. The famed, Bluegrass horse farms with the gorgeous thoroughbreds and stallions, dot the landscape. The adorable foals as they run about the fields or lay nearby always staying in close proximity to their Mothers. The quaint cupolas that adorn the horse barns. The black wooden fences and the old stacked, limestone fences that surround the parameters of the many famed horse farms. And finally, the crisp green Kentucky Bluegrass that tops off all this gorgeousness with every twist and turn in the road. I must get back here soon. I hope you enjoyed my trek around the region as much as I did sharing it with you. ENJOY!

3 comments :

  1. Beautiful scenes.green grass and a foal.perfect. All good down here.off soon to do some posies for the tables.hoping"foxy" arrives soon.have packed my laptop so this is from my smart phone.xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Jean. I'm sure foxy will make it soon. Have fun. Carol

      Delete
  2. It is a magical place as you drive around the Bluegrass area. Such beauty and grandeur. I love it and I miss it. Carol

    ReplyDelete