Sunday, March 4, 2018

Among the Japanese Magnolias: Kentucky Woman Series

For a brief few weeks in very early Spring, even before the first official day arrives, Bernheim Arboretum's Japanese Magnolia trees burst forth with a stunning display of color. Witnessing this event over the course of those weeks requires perseverance. As the old adage says, nothing ventured, nothing gained.


The first Japanese Magnolias customarily spring forth even before the other trees in the arboretum. These trees set among the other ornamental trees just outside the gates of the arboretum. As the earliest days of Spring approach, these particular trees ready themselves with vivid dark pink buds, ready to burst open, while the temperatures continue to fluctuate between Winter and Spring. The vivid pink Magnolia buds find their moment, at just the right temperature, and open to reveal glorious pink blooms.


As I walked among the arboretum trees in year's past, deep green fuzz appears as buds. Soon slick buds of varying pinks will adorn the craggy branches mixed in with the blossoms themselves. The sun and shade illuminates the petals revealing various hues of pink. Large clusters of Japanese Magnolia buds and blooms are present on every branch on every tree in a display of brilliant color.


One particular Spring the temperatures were especially mild leaving the beautiful Magnolia blossoms to linger on the branches. On that visit I walked among the trees, stopping at one point, as I realized something amazing. I took a breath and smiled. The pungent fragrance of Magnolia blossoms filled my senses. I gave thanks to the warmer temperatures for allowing the blossoms to give up such a magnificent aroma. Everything around me was enveloped in beauty to see and smell.


As a photographer, you want to take the most breath taking photos when you are capturing images of flowers. As blooms clung to branches wide open, the stamen inside revealed a landscape all its own. I attempted to capture its beauty as I came in close to the blossom snapping images. Some blossoms opened only slightly while others seemed to open as though to welcome you in.


Anxiously awaiting early Spring, with its varying degrees of temperatures, requires patience. Knowing the end result will be glorious buds, in various hues of lavender and pink, helps to ease the pain. Seeing the visual display of magnificent buds and blossoms and taking in the fragrant scent of Japanese Magnolias leaves you feeling as though you have experienced something truly magical. God surely planned it this way and I am so utterly happy he did. I hope you will plan a trip to Bernheim during this season. And I hope you will experience what I have in years past. I will be back with a second post on this subject. Only it will feature the hues of yellow that are displayed alongside the pink Japanese Magnolias. I hope you will come back. ENJOY!

4 comments :

  1. Thank you Felicia. Not all of these images are great, but I still love all of them. Hope you are well. Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd never get to see these lovely Magnolias if you didn't share your photos. Glad you are so close to spring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This blog is nice and very informative. I like this blog.
    blog Please keep it up.

    ReplyDelete