Saturday, March 10, 2018

Among the Magnolias II: Kentucky Woman Series

Come along as we continue my Kentucky Woman Series. I want to share more of my time at Bernheim with you. I consider Bernheim sacred. I have spent many seasons visiting here. I have captured thousands of images of bees and birds and trees and flowers. I have photographed the colorful pink and yellow Japanese Magnolia blooms in Spring. I have hiked leaf strewn forest paths in Autumn. I have even driven the heavily laden snow covered road next to the arboretum in the dead of Winter. Every season at Bernheim has a story to tell and I have visited in every season to see that story told.


In Spring, the Canadian Geese and tiny Goslings swim around Lake Nevin. In Summer, the Yellow and Black Swallowtail Butterflies flit in and out of the Butterfly bushes. The Autumns, oh, the Autumns are especially gorgeous. The entire forest drive is a sea of yellow and orange with dots of red thrown in here and there. There are more gifts here given us by Mother Nature than any one person can count.


Today, I share images of the beautiful yellow Japanese Magnolias in bloom from past visits. It takes a tremendous amount of patience to wait as Winter's grip lets go and Spring begins to open up with its Daffodils and Crocus and Magnolia blooms. The reward is worth the wait. I captured these beautiful blooms on especially warm Spring days in the arboretum. The aroma from the Magnolia blossoms filled the air as I walked around the trees. It enveloped my senses and left me virtually intoxicated.


I especially love to peruse my archives after a visit in search of the best image to crop closely revealing the intricate details hidden in the center of the blossom. The Magnolia species has approximately 210 genus. These ancient flowers are said to have existed long before bees even evolved. Beetles are the main forager of these trees. Perhaps that is why their stamens and pistols are so tough. They need to be hardy to withstand the damage beetles can do. What's that old saying, beauty isn't everything.


When you walk among the Magnolias at Bernheim, you can't help but notice their craggy branches. They appear as ancient as the species itself. There are various species of yellow and pink Magnolias throughout the arboretum, in various sizes and shapes of blooms as well. I've witnessed each and every one. Thing is, I believe the largest and hardiest blooms open later than their far daintier counterparts.


I have a love affair with Mother Nature. I admit it. Bernheim only makes my love affair even more worth the while. This place is near and dear to my heart, and for long as I'm walking the face of this Earth, I will return here as often as time and distance allows.

I hope you will allow me to share a true story. I remember visiting Bernheim for the very first time on a field trip in elementary school. I sat at the picnic table and ate my lunch with all the other kids. Then afterwards we were allowed to wonder around the woods. Low and behold, I climbed high up on the hill above the picnic area, and became so enthralled with the woods that I nearly got left behind. Until a head count revealed someone was missing from the bus. I remember being up in the woods when I heard a voice from down below calling my name. I climbed back down the hill, and sure enough, I was the last passenger to get on the bus. This really happened. I kid you not. Could it be that even at an early age I knew this place was special.

I will forever be a Kentucky Woman in every sense of the word. And every time I write another post in this series, I am reminded of that. I thought this might be the last of my series, but I feel another installment could be in order. Stay tuned. ENJOY!

Linking to Stonegable The Scoop

3 comments :

  1. The blossom is very beautiful. Get the plants to your garden at Bird of Paradise Plant  | Strelitzia Reginae

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great information… Tree Removal Melbourne service will add authentic beauty to your home garden. We always offer professional stump removal melbourne service to keep our client happy.

    ReplyDelete