Saturday, April 9, 2016

Black Crowned Night Heron

There is a creek call Drakes Creek right off Old Hickory Lake in Hendersonville. It meanders north through the heart of Hendersonville. As it does there are areas where trees have partially blown down and branches are sticking up out of the water. Great Blue Herons, Great White Egrets, Green Herons and Black Crowned Night Herons are just a few of the common resident bird species that make this creek their home.


As I come and go throughout the week I take the short cut passing by Drakes Creek always checking to see if the resident Black Crowned Night Heron is perched on a particularly large dead tree branch that sticks out into the creek near the road. On this day, he was perched on the perfect branch just low enough and near enough to the edge of the creek for me to get a decent photo. This is the image I had tried to capture at a distance in early March, but that image was really not good even though I did post it. This bird species is one of the shorter, stumpier species of Herons obviously. But he is just as determined a fisher as any Great Blue Heron or Great White Egret is. Hope you enjoy this much better image of such a beautiful bird. ENJOY!

Now on a personal note, I have been grounded for a week with a stomach bug which kept me from a major conference for work this coming week. Needless to say, this didn't make me happy, but one has to do what one has to do. It has been a trying few months what with bronchitis, then major dental work and now this bug. But I will bounce back. You can count on that. Twenty years ago today I was involved in a serious accident which left me with many injuries which took weeks and weeks to recover from. But I did recover albeit I was much younger then which probably helped. Now this week, my oldest sister, Linda, experienced a serious trauma while on vacation in Florida. She is currently out of ICU, but has a very long and grueling recovery ahead. I mention this for one reason. I hope you will keep her in your prayers. God Bless.

No comments :

Post a Comment