Thursday, May 2, 2019

Wildlife Walk, Radnor Lake State Park

Come hike with me as I walk the lake trail at Radnor Lake State Park today. Did I mention we will get to visit with some of the local wildlife as we take a walk on this bright sunny day with temps hovering in the high 60's. Radnor Lake is in the middle of metropolitan Nashville surrounded by large neighborhoods, so it gets a lot of visitors.


After about a mile into the lake trail, I turned toward the aviary trail and hiked another quarter mile into the woods. To my surprise as I neared a clearing in the woods, a huge bird flew up from the clearing and perched in a nearby tree. I have never seen an Owl in the wild, until today! A gorgeous Barred Owl sat perched in a tree perfectly positioned for picture taking. Every now and then he would turn his head all the way around and stare down at me. I was about 200 yards away on the path. You suppose he knew he was the star of my show! Did I mention this is a Life List Bird!


The trail to the opposite side of the lake cuts through the lake and a swamp. As I walked I peered into the water and saw something swimming parallel with the trail. A Muskrat swam past me and disappeared into the deep water carrying a large stash of vegetation. Lunch!


As I peered into the depths of the swamp, a huge Turtle swam by. He didn't seem to mind the company at all.


The Turtles were out in force sunning themselves on downed branches in the lake close to the shoreline.


There were various species of Turtles sunning themselves. I hope they put on sunscreen.


As I turned to make my way to the aviary, I snapped this image looking back at Radnor Lake. It's a beautiful lake and quite large. The perimeter lake trail, if you choose to hike it all the way around, is three miles. I did the entire hike on my first trip here to Radnor Lake in 2016.


I wished I could contain my excitement at seeing my first Owl in the wild. Needless to say, when I checked out my images in Lightroom, I had some fantastic photos of the Barred Owl. He had a sleepy look on his face as he sat motionless lazily sunning himself. His perch was the perfect spot for me to capture quite a few pics of him. I doubt he knew he was the star of my show!

Hopefully, you've enjoyed this hike around Radnor Lake. It's a beautiful park and very flat surfaces to walk on with half of the lake trail paved. I want to go back soon to see if I can capture the Barred Owlettes. Word is they fledged, but perhaps they will come back to the nest. The nest was on the opposite side of the lake from where I hiked, so I didn't make it there on this visit. Have a wonderful weekend all. ENJOY!

4 comments :

  1. What great delight to find the Barred Owl. Maybe looking sleepy eyed, but I am sure he knew you were there, and a show stopper, he is indeed the STAR.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a beautiful creative. Sleepy eyes and all. Carol

      Delete
  2. I just looked up the park. What a neat place that is! You got some really good photos on your visit. I'll bet you visit again in the fall.The foliage looks pretty there. How close did you get to the owl?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this park. It's very busy with visitors being in the middle of neighborhoods, but most people are quiet and walk or walk their dogs. I have been several times in the Fall and will probably go back again. I was about 100 feet from the owl. He flew up from the ground in front of me (I didn't see him there) and perched in that branch and stayed there. I think he was sunning. Thanks for stopping by Sandy. Hope all is well with you. Carol

      Delete