Saturday, February 2, 2019

Burnt Cove, Deer Isle, A Decade Ago


When is the last time you took a trip down memory lane? I have embarked on that trip again today. Taking a decade's old journey back in time, I find myself on a remote island off the coast of Down East Maine. On the western edge of Deer Isle I find Burnt Cove. Carved into the landscape surrounded by quaint, clapboard houses and large, granite boulders, this tiny cove is the consummate Maine setting. Heavy clouds hang low in the sky, on this warm Summer's day, giving every element a larger than life feel. I snap images moving my viewfinder a tad left, then a tad right.


After photographing Burnt Cove, I drive the narrow, winding back roads further south on Deer Isle. Using a map, I hug the coastline taking in the scenery. An hour passes and I make my way back to Burnt Cove with anticipation. Just as I had suspected, the low cloud base had lifted giving way to blue skies. Have you ever seen such a beautiful Maine setting as this. Needless to say, the red clapboard house is a priceless find.


The granite boulders that hug the coast, as they do in most Down East shorelines, coupled with the dense Fir trees that grow right up to the water's edge, sets the perfect scene. My love affair with coastal Maine, and an equally passionate love affair with sailboats, brought me to the farthest northeastern state of the U.S. I can only hope if I journeyed to this remote area today that I would find a similar landscape. However, I know there is nowhere, in this our United States, that is safe from urban sprawl. So lucky to have captured these images at a time when coastal Maine was still rugged and unspoiled. Time really can stand still. All you need do is press your shutter release button. Click, and the scene is yours forever.

I have a very lazy weekend ahead with only a few chores. Perhaps the out of doors, which constantly beckons to me, will take over and I'll find myself by the lake shore today. Who knows. ENJOY!

8 comments :

  1. Boulders and trees right to the water, that is so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't you just love it Jean. It's such a rugged but gorgeous place to visit. One of my most favorite places in the whole world. Carol

      Delete
  2. it is hard to believe that was ten years ago. You picked a great place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did Sandy. I absolutely love Maine. I may never get back there, but it was a wonderful trip while I visited. Carol

      Delete
  3. Boulders in the waters, that is wonderful Carol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Bob. I just absolutely love it. Carol

      Delete
  4. Fine, and longing photos Carol!
    __ Too, I'm quite fond of Schoodic Point, as it lingers just a short flight Northward along the Maine coast; the mussel covered stones. _m

    musseled stones
    welcome each new tide
    quiet cove

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by Magyar. I love Maine too. Carol

      Delete