Thursday, January 31, 2019

Stonington, Through My Lens



If I could go back to Maine, I would go in a heart beat, but I have other fish to fry. So I scan my image library and sigh. There is no place quite like Maine. It's beautiful. It's rugged. It's unique in so many ways. I drove into Stonington, Maine, on Deer Isle, on a very foggy, Summer's mourn and headed straight for the waterfront. I reached the dock just in time to see this beautiful tall ship making its way across the harbor.


As the fog began to lift, I drove from one side of town to the other, creeping slowly through a busy, tiny town to find the opposite side of the harbor. As I approached the waterfront, camera in hand, this beautiful tall ship was sailing by. I absolutely love the old dock in the foreground with the sea gulls perched on top.


With the fog fully lifted now, I turned and made my way to the car, having driven way out on the main dock. Before I got in the car, I looked up and saw this scene. The quintessential Maine clapboard houses sitting next to the the water's edge, while a wharf side restaurant complete with log stilts jutted out in the harbor itself. What a perfect setting. Stonington is such a quaint, albeit teeny tiny town, situated on the southern most edge of Deer Isle. If you have never visited, you've missed out.


Before getting back in my car, I also noticed these small boats tied up to a smaller dock. The sun was bright and the water was a gorgeous blue. I couldn't not snap a few photos. This tiny town is so remote and isolated, and to think of the harsh Winters, and to see that tourism was, and still is, thriving here was such a comfort. I am amazed to think about the fishermen making a living out on the open ocean working their lobster traps, but that is exactly what they do.


Before leaving Stonington, I stopped at a small shop in town. Curiosity took over as I walked to the back of the shop next to the waterfront. A small sailboat was floating aimlessly through the harbor. At the water's edge lay a tangled mess of rope and bright pink buoys. Oh, how perfect. Throw in a bit of rocky coastline that Maine is so famous for and you have the perfect seaside image.

If I visited Stonington today, I would stay a while and snap more images and immerse myself in this quaint, tiny seaside town. I had dreamed of this trip for years and to live it was absolutely surreal. I'll be back with my next stop at Burnt Cove on Deer Isle. And yes, I've shared this trip before, but I just couldn't not share again. Can you see why. I hope you are staying warm in the throws of this Polar Vortex with negative degree days and even colder nights, not to mention snow squalls in the north every other minute. And before I leave, goodbye January. You seemed so short and sweet. Oh, and least I forget, these beauties (photos) were all taken with slide film on a manual Pentax camera. Take that you DSLRs! ENJOY!

8 comments :

  1. Yes, those film cameras were something special. Hugh still has his Minolta, it was the top model way back then. and took stunning photos, a light meter, hand held, then the wait until the film was developed. Lovely harbour scenes, what a way to dine over the water and watch the world and the sailing boats go by. Stay warm if you can, we are still getting a lot of coverage about the weather up North on our TV.And Google can provide even more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Jean. It's always great to hear from you. Hope you are settling in. Carol

      Delete
  2. Your photos remind me of a book I just finished set in Maine - The Summer Guest by Justin Cronin. My favorite photo is the top one - such ambiance! I didn’t realize you were still using your film camera. Lovely coastal scenes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad to hear from you Barb. I hope all is well with you. Carol

      Delete
  3. I have never been, and I can sure tell that I have missed it! Beautiful. That first could so easily be a painting. It is my favorite...I would love to have it as jigsaw puzzle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought of the first image as a puzzle. That's an interesting thought. Hope all is well Rose. Carol

      Delete
  4. Fantastic boat, sails high. Beautiful Carol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Bob. I love Maine. Carol

      Delete