Saturday, June 2, 2018

Drive the Refuge

Come along as I drive the Duck River Unit of the Tennessee National Wildlife Refuge, a birder's paradise. Here's a collection of images as I made my way into and out of the refuge.














The refuge is home to birds in all shapes and sizes and colors and in all the varying habitats within the refuge. A twist in the road and you scare up a large wading bird who takes flight from the intrusion. You don't mean to intrude, but with the grasses along the road obscuring what lay on the other side, and the swamps adjacent to the road much lower, it is inevitable. A few of the birds I encountered:

Great Blue Heron, Great White Egret, Mallard Ducks,
Eastern Kingbird, Indigo Bunting, Dickcissel, Bobolink, Yellow Headed Blackbird

I hope you enjoyed the drive and would love to know if you have a favorite photo.

If you are in the Eastern United States, we're in the throws of a full blown heat wave, so be careful out of doors. Have an enjoyable weekend all. ENJOY!

6 comments :

  1. A wonderful place for so many varieties of birds, great motion shots.But my pick is the one tree in the water, what a sight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I would have never guessed you would like that image the most. It is nice. Yes, there are birds galore at this refuge. It's just so huge. Carol

      Delete
  2. Carol, this looks like an area I could spend weeks exploring.

    I'll pick 2 shots:
    The Dickcissel because I have only ever seen a 1st winter bird in it's drabber plumage.
    The stand of trees in the water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Dickcissel is my favorite as he was a life bird Frank. Loved getting various images of him in various backgrounds too. He kept following me as I moved at a snails pace down the road. I also love the trees in the water. Oddly one can barely get a look at the trees standing in water as most of that part of the refuge is closed off. Carol

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. AnonymousJuly 14, 2018

    I have never seen a Dickcissel, only pictures in the field guides. What a fabulous bird!

    ReplyDelete