Friday, May 25, 2018

Back In The Day


Do you remember back in the day when color was king? When you drove down the highway, with your Dad at the wheel, and you passed cars and trucks in all shapes and colors. There were pink Cadillacs and red Dodge Chargers and blue Ford Fairlanes. Remember the Sixties when turquoise was en vogue.


Do you remember rolling down the car window and hanging your arm out to adjust the driver's side mirror. Do you remember steering wheels, when you needed a muscle relaxer after a long drive, long before power steering and cruise control were en vogue. Do you remember when air conditioning meant rolling down the car windows with your hair blowing in the breeze.


Do you remember the Buick with its huge round headlights and big 'ol bumpers and the Ford Fairlane with its fins on the trunk. Do you remember when there was no such thing as anti-lock brakes or cruise control or electronic door locks or emission control or fog lights or tinted windows.


If you remember these things, then you know, wisdom comes with age. I believe we have lived in the best of times. Every day we are reminded of so many uncertainties like nuclear war and terrorism, mass murders and school shootings. But remember, we are the lucky ones because we remember a simpler time, a better time. I hope you have a wonderful holiday weekend here in the States and a great weekend across the ponds. We, here in the South, are in for a whole lot of rain from a tropical depression which I believe they are calling Alberto. Heavens.

I captured these images two years ago in late Summer on a very hot, humid August day at Old Car City in Cartersville, Georgia. If memory serves me well, I don't believe I've ever featured these images in a prior post, but if I have forgive me. ENJOY!

5 comments :

  1. I remember the old Essex my Dad had, we could fit all the basketball team in, ( 9 of us) a pet lamb on occasions, and on the rare occasions when we went to the cinema on a Friday night ( the one where there was a half time, and they put the next reel on the machine) I could lie across the back seat and sleep on the way home. Life was safe, driving was easy, no threats of terror, school was where we had fun, and firearms were used only when necessary, a really sick animal maybe.Love your old cars, enjoy your long weekend, and more rain, we had it all down here the other night, with thunder and lightning non-stop for about 4 hours. Hope you stay high, dry and safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Jean, what a fantastic story. I loved every word as you took a trip down memory lane. That's what I was hoping this post would inspire someone to do. I remember intermissions too at the movies. What an amazing story. Hope you have a fabulous weekend. Carol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super shots Carol and reminds me of some images I took several years ago.

    Old cars never die ... they just rot gracefully!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Frank. So good to hear from you. Hope all is well with you and yours. I love old cars. These especially bring back such memories. Carol

      Delete
  4. Grateful for sharing thhis

    ReplyDelete