Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Pansy Perfection and Turn Off the Spigot Please


Pansies are the quintessential Spring bloom. These beautiful, bright and colorful flowers are seen everywhere right now. This beauty is called an Icicle Pansy. Seriously, I have not a clue where it got it's name. I have never planted Pansies before in my planters. Every year I consider it and every year I end up choosing Geraniums instead. I love red Geraniums. They attract Hummingbirds which is a plus. I used to plant Petunias every year, but as our Summer months grew hotter, and eventually morphed into sweltering, I found Geraniums withstood the hotter months of Summer better than Petunias. Although I haven't met a Petunia I didn't love.


This variation of Pansy is called Blue Frost. Again, not a clue where it got its name. I love the bold explosion of color in the center, but I like Icicle Pansies more. I think the yellow is more appealing with the blue. I captured these colorful blooms at Cheekwood Botanical Gardens in Nashville several Springs back when I visited during their Cheekwood in Bloom festival.

Can I change the subject now? Oh, my God. Could someone turn off the spigot. It has rained and rained and rained and rained here in Tennessee. I kid you not. It has been raining since the middle of February and we're going into the first of April. There are so few sunny days, there's no way to plan a trip to Cheekwood to see their beautiful Tulip display this Spring. I want to get over there and take in all the Tulips, but it's a scheduling dilemma when every day its raining and on the weekends too. I love that Spring is here and there's an explosion of blooms. Tulips, Daffodils, Pansies, Jonquils. You name it, it's blooming. Not to mention the trees in bloom. But could we get some sun please. ENJOY!

2 comments :

  1. I LOVE pansies - mine often bloom year after year. They are one flower that does well in our cool climate. I often fill a container with them for the deck. It's funny that you've gotten so much moisture, and we're so dry in CO. Our snow pack is only about 40 % of average. We've really had no major snowfalls over a foot all season except one in Oct that broke many aspens. I hope you soon see sunny skies - it should be very green from all the rain!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope spring has sprung in your world Barb. Carol

    ReplyDelete