Thursday, November 30, 2017

Best of Birding 2017

It has been a slow year for me from a photography standpoint, but I have managed to get out and take some photographs especially of birds. Here are my top three picks for bird photography for 2017.


No. 1: In February, I captured this image of a Sandhill Crane migrating south for the Winter in Cecilia, Kentucky foraging for food next to a pond. The thing I like best about these birds are how large they are and, in spite of that, still seem so utterly delicate.


No. 2: This beauty was added to my Birding Life List. This Summer Tanager was up and down on the branches of the Crab Apple trees in Cheekwood Botanical Gardens in Nashville, Tennessee, grabbing seed after seed and swallowing each one whole. I managed to capture this image before this seed went down the hatch. The depths of red on this tiny little creative is just mesmerizing.


No. 3: I just added this image in the past two weeks as the American White Pelicans had made a stop over on their migration route south on Old Hickory Lake, in Hendersonville, Tennessee. Virtually right out my front door. The Pelicans, to my delight, are still here on the lake. What I wouldn't give if they would stay and overwinter here allowing me photos ops aplenty.

I'll post my best landscape and flower image(s) in a few days. In the meantime, I hope you are getting your decorating on. My tree is up and lit and adorning my living room with wreaths and table decorations all around. I decorate in the classic red and green colors as it brings such a beautiful uplifting feeling in Winter, when there are numerous gloomy days. I hope you are having a fantastic week. We're heading into the weekend. ENJOY!

6 comments :

  1. If these were the only three shots of the whole season, I would still be mighty happy with them. They are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rose. I have many many shots, but these were my best three I chose. Carol

      Delete
  2. Each one is superb, that special moment, How long did it take to select those three? no tree here, but the pine cones will get selected , and come inside for some tinsel and glitter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I love tinsel and glitter. It took a bit to decide on the best of for birding as I have tons of birding images. Happy Holidays Jean & Hugh. Carol

      Delete