Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Dem Bones, Dem Bones

Just in case you didn't know where that infamous Halloween holiday originated from, here's a little back story I thought I would share.

Halloween is celebrated each year on October 31. 
It's roots haled from aged European traditions originating from the ancient Celtic festival of Samhain. 
People would light bonfires and wear costumes to ward off ghosts.
In the eighth century, Pope Gregory III deemed November 1, as a time to honor all saints. 
It was later declared All Saints Day and incorporated into some of the traditions of Samhain. 
The evening before was known as All Hallow's Eve, which we now celebrate as Halloween.
Halloween today is a day long activity for some with trick-or-treating and carving jack-o-lanterns. 
Around the world, as days grow shorter and nights colder, 
we usher in the season with parties, costumes and even a few spooks.


Here's a few scary creatures I photographed at past Halloween parties back home in Louisville. Starting off slow, here's the head of a large skeleton figure displayed in a front yard.


Now I've never seen a pirate skeleton until I happened on this guy hanging off a house in a rope cage. Interesting!


This guy has seen better days! And it appears he got caught up in a cob web before he got caught up in a rope hang. EEK! These last two characters are a tad bit more scary. So, if you're a scardy cat then, STOP. Don't go any further.


Is it me or does this guy have really, really long fingers and awfully large hands?


If this guy were in a fashion show, he'd win the prize for best cape. Just so you know, I have a whole slue of creepy photos, and I mean seriously creepy creatures, and some sinister ones, too. If you wish me to post them, however, you must ask, as I didn't want to creep you guys out. Meanwhile, maybe I'll get home for Halloween and shoot some more pics. Provided the weather is nice and I actually can work it into my schedule. Take care. BOO! ARG!

2 comments :

  1. Down here, it is not celebrated in such a wondrous scary way. Some younger children do the trick or treat visiting, but these days, most parents do not like to have them out in the dark going to other homes. Your photos are amazing. and the history is so good to know. But I will give the extra scary pics a very wide pass by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's sad a wonderful child's holiday trick or treating isn't so popular there. It's crazy here although we do have tons of parties that kids go to in lieu of the house to house trick or treating with things being the way they are these days. So glad you stopped by. Carol

      Delete