Thursday, May 4, 2017

Vintage Wheels


As I perused my archives in search of images from Vintage America, I noticed a transition from the days of wagon wheels and buggies to the days of old jalopies and finally to modern day automobiles.


In by gone days, both of these first two buggies were surely a Rolls Royce version as buggies go. I captured the carriage at Spring Mill Park in Indiana, on a visit years ago and and the wagon with the small scale buggy I discovered sitting in a barn on a visit to Blackacre Nature Preserve in Louisville a couple of years ago. Both surely must have been quite fashionable in their day with their slick black leather seats.


This old Dodge truck I have posted before, but I couldn't leave it out of the line up, as it surely is one of my favorite rustic auto images. If it doesn't conjure up memories of the early 1900's, nothing will. It has come to its final resting place at the end of the Roaring Fork Motor Nature Trail in the Smoky Mountains, on a small farm there.


After the buggies of the late 1800's and the jalopies of the early 1900's, we find ourselves in the era of the modern automobile with spiffy logos and chrome grills. I photographed this Buick, which looks like a '60's model, at Old Car City USA, in Georgia last Summer. I'm surprised someone didn't restore it as the body looks in quite good condition.


Last, here we are with over sized bumpers and large grills like shark's teeth. Oversized bumpers are one of the things I will always remember about the cars of my childhood years, especially the Buick. I wonder does anyone else feel the cars we drive today are just a tad boring compared to the first automobiles. Perhaps that's why vintage cars are such popular attractions at car shows and in museums. I hope you enjoyed this journey back in time. I promise to be back soon. ENJOY!

5 comments :

  1. Such memories with each one. Our first car was an Essex, maybe early 1920's, large enough to hold a full basketball team, or the pet lamb on its way to Calf Club Day. I learnt to drive in a Consul in 1955!!! 3 gear, column change I think. Practise with the tractor for several years, on the open roads fro a while, Dad drove me to get the test, out of the Council office, a stop, down the street, up a hill, 3 point turn, back down and a left then a right turn. All OK. It is so different now, and I wonder who drove those old vehicles, and how they ended up there.( p.s. sorry to be so wordy)!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved hearing your story Jean. 1955. That is the year I was born. Amazing. Carol

      Delete
  2. Ah die koets en die burrie, geweldig maar de vergane auto,s zijn ook super.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you those buggies are something else but I love the cars too.

      Delete
  3. OOh, yes, our cars are boring compared to the old ones. I sure enjoyed seeing these.

    ReplyDelete