Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Southern Roots Exhibit


One of the many 'goings on' offered at Cheekwood Botanical Gardens throughout the year are exhibitions featuring various artists using different mediums such as wood, glass, bronze and steel. Throughout the Summer months this year you can view several works of art on exhibit throughout the botanical gardens by the world renowned sculptor, Steve Tobin. His Southern Roots exhibition features several large sculptures from his 'Steelroots' series. The large white sculpture in the background of this first image towers 15 feet tall and weighs some 7000 pounds. It is my favorite outdoor sculpture in this series. The fact that it is situated right in the center of my favorite garden at Cheekwood, the Bradford Robertson Color Garden, doesn't hurt either.


During my visit, as I wondered throughout the grounds capturing images of the beautiful Tulip displays, I would turn occasionally and notice this sculpture looming in the distance. Before I left the gardens I stopped to capture this second image as I stood on the outskirts of the color garden. The flower gardens in full bloom is exhibit enough for me, especially the Tulip Display, but having these gorgeous sculptures on display makes for a much more interesting visit. I hope your week is off to a good start. I will be back soon. By the by, I had another post up today, but deleted it. It just wasn't cutting it for me. And I am a woman after all which means I can change my mind. ENJOY!

1 comment :

  1. There is a sculpture in Vail very similar to this. Next time I'm there, I must see if it's one of Tobin's. Those tulips do set it off nicely!

    ReplyDelete