Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Eastern Bluebird


In a flash of blue, it flew by me and landed on a nearby branch. Just above this Eastern Bluebird sat a second one perched just a little higher up in the same tree. Perhaps they are Mr. and Mrs., I don't know. I tend to look upon the Eastern Bluebird as one of those birds that absolutely everyone likes. Not sure if it's because of its beautiful blue feathers or because they are small and seem fragile.


The Eastern Bluebirds have a difficult time in Winter and many times don't survive the harsh weather, as was the case last year. I hope this Winter will be kinder to them. While it was a very very cold day when I captured this image, the sun was out in full force as I drove into Sander's Ferry Park. The park is situated on the southeast side of one of two peninsulas of land that lend to the snake effect of Old Hickory Lake. The Bluebirds weren't the only birds out that day. I captured images of Great Blue Herons and Bufflehead Ducks which I will share in future posts. It is supposed to be 60 degrees tomorrow. I think Mother Nature is confused. ENJOY!

5 comments :

  1. You got a wonderful pic of this bluebird, Carol - such a lovely coloring. Your weather pattern is really changing! Still cold here with (hopefully) snow on the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, it is a little beauty. A wonderful capture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely bird photo, perfect settings. And weather, we have 28C, really hot down here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet little Bluebird. They nest in our area in the summer and I have 2 bluebird boxes now but only get swallows in them. I rarely see the Bluebirds around and every spring I hope they find my houses before the swallows do.

    ReplyDelete