Monday, October 29, 2012

Eastern Wild Turkeys, Mustatatuck NWR


As I pulled into Batar Cafe, right outside the main gate to Mustatatuck, to grab a bite to eat last week, there were several Wild Turkeys foraging in and around the cafe's large garden. These are young male Eastern Wild Turkeys, as identified by their reddish heads and wattles hanging from their necks, as well as their protruding beards. Although a small percentage of females have beards also. It appears these males have discovered a prime spot to forage for food, with no less than four to five very busy bird feeders, with various birds dropping seeds almost continuously during my visit.
I've seen Wild Turkeys in my outdoor travels before, but these looked quite a bit more robust, although males are normally considerably larger than females. Something tells me these guys have made this cafe garden home what with all of the trees, shrubs and bushes, not to mention the well stocked bird feeders. For all of you folks along the eastern seaboard, and all of the northeast, including my friends and coworkers at my corporate office which is situated in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, a mere 100 miles from the seashore, I'm praying for you and hoping Sandy doesn't do major damage. Although from what I've seen on the news so far, it appears some significant damage has already been done and there may be more to come with this evening's high tide. I can't recall when in my life I'd heard reports of two major earthquakes and a tsunami along the Pacific corridor and a major hurricane in the Atlantic Ocean, all reported within a 48 hour period. It's been an eventful weather weekend. Perhaps Mother Nature will calm down soon. ENJOY!

4 comments :

  1. This is a beautiful image. I love to see these wild as seen here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gobble, gobble. I've sometimes seen wild turkeys in CA - never in CO.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there. Beautiful picture of the Eastern Wild Turkeys. They certainly are big, and I would agree they have been doing very well in the Cafe garden! I live in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, and over the past year, my wife and I have come upon several Wild Turkeys up here in Canada. We even came upon a hen with her baby turkey flying up into a tree this summer. Fortunately, we had our camera with us and got some good video and pictures. We have posted them for anyone interested at: http://frametoframe.ca/photo-essay-wild-turkey-sightings-ontario

    Now last Friday, we finally got to see and photograph a Northern Saw-Whet Owl out in the bush, here in Ontario. This was the first time we had ever seen this bird. And we had only waited 50 years!! For those interested seeing our pictures, and video of this beautiful Owl, they are at:
    http://frametoframe.ca/photo-essay-northern-saw-whet-owl-sighting

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there. Since sighting the Northern Saw-Whet Owl in October, Jean, and I came upon a Barred Owl in Rouge National Park, near Markham, Ontario this past Sunday. As you already know, this was the second time in six weeks that we have come upon, and filmed, an owl out in the wilds. Prior to these two sightings, we had never seen an owl in its natural habitat. Needless to say, it has been an exciting six weeks. Our pictures and video of the Barred Owl sighting are posted on our blog at: http://frametoframe.ca/photo-essay-barred-owl-sighting-markham-ontario/

    ReplyDelete