Monday, May 2, 2011

This & That!

A little bit of nature at Bernheim. I love the Japanese Painted Fern growing along the Sun and Shade Trail in the Arboretum. I hadn't noticed it before.

While walking the trail I happened upon a pine tree and took a few photos of the pine cones. My question is this, is this a male pine cone and a female pine cone? The male being the orange part and the female being the pine cone part. That's the impression I got when I Googled it. Anyone know?

I noticed along the trail this tree with these small round seed pods. Google gave me no help on this one. So I'm asking, does anyone know what this tree is?
I wished all of you could spend an afternoon walking around Bernheim with me. It's such a pleasant place to walk while you enjoy the wildlife and check out all of the different varieties of trees, bushes, flowers and other plants that grow there. Hope you're having a good week. Oh yes, it's still raining here. ENJOY!

2 comments :

  1. AnonymousMay 03, 2011

    I think it how the light hits something that makes you notice it, don't you?
    Especially with plants like the fern. Light makes texture pop right out. I have taken a shot of leaves or a plant, walked a few feet, turned around, and not been able to spot it.

    Those seed pods look interesting, but I don't recognize them, either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to take a stroll around Bernheim ... so much to see and enjoy.
    Your ID for the pine cone is correct ... the female produces all the seed. Sorry can't help with the plant ID.

    ReplyDelete