Monday, August 16, 2010

Cape Cod Trip 2010, Nantucket Boat Basin

DAY TRIP, THE BOAT BASIN, NANTUCKET, MASSACHUSETTS

As I mentioned in my last post, the sun came out in the late afternoon after an unbelievable downpour during my day trip to Nantucket. In the late afternoon I took the Nantucket Island Tour, mainly to rest my feet, but also to get my bearings on the size of the island. It is only about 7 miles wide and you realize how small it is when you can take an island tour in an hour. After I finished with the Island Tour, I walked back over to the Boat Basin to take a few images while the light was better. This first image is one of my favorite photos from my Nantucket day trip, the Cottages at the Boat Basin. It's such a uniquely different place to walk around. There are cottages, shops and then you have boats of every size and configuration. Yachts, sailboats, motor boats, and at running the risk of repeating myself, more yachts. Surreal.



This image is of the Dockmaster's Quarters. Even the Dockmaster has a flower box.



I've always had an infinity to wooden boats and this big boat docked next to the Dockmaster's Quarters is no exception. It was huge so I really couldn't get a picture of the whole thing. I think I heard someone say it offers tours of the harbor, but I could be wrong.



You have to admit, it's pretty daunting. ENJOY!

1 comment :

  1. I can see why you like that shot. That probably is a tour ferry. It looks like the one that go back and forth to the islands from the Portland Harbor.

    ReplyDelete