Saturday, June 29, 2019

The Barn Series - Day 7 - The Mennonites


On Day 7 we travel back to the turn of the century and visit a Mennonite Community located just west of the small towns of Scottsville and Franklin, Kentucky, about 20 miles north of the Kentucky/Tennessee border. The Mennonites of this community call themselves "the plain people". Their simple life does not allow for electric gas power machinery and make their living in agricultural pursuits.


In the Fall, they harvest molasses made the old-fashioned way. In Summer, they grow fresh produce and make leather goods. On one of the back roads, a horse drawn buggy carrying young Mennonite farmers passed me just as a gal on horseback was making her way down the road.


As I drove around the community on this lazy, late Summer, Sunday afternoon, I saw this little girl, with doll in hand, being dropped off at the end of her long driveway.


I traveled to this community which was only about a 45 minute drive from my home, to check out the barns and farms. Most of the farms, however, sat way back off the road where no photograph could capture them. Out of respect for these simple Mennonite people, I tried not to capture an image of their faces. I want to get back to this area this Summer, where the farmers carry out a thriving produce business at Haybegger's Amish Market nearer to Scottsville, and hopefully, pick up some fresh vegetables.

I am a little bit under the weather as I write this post having had gallbladder surgery yesterday. The pain medications are leaving my thoughts a bit clouded. The pain is palpable, but I venture to say in a few days I'll be almost back to normal. And I might add, I can't wait. I hope you all have a great weekend. Let's see where Day 8 takes us. ENJOY!

2 comments :

  1. Wow, that barn looks quite modern! My grandmother came to the United States when she was seven with her family. They were from a Mennonite community in Switzerland. I know the settled in northern Colorado, but less else about the her family. She also lived close to nature, and had the most beautiful gardens.

    I hope you are feeling better soon. Happy 4th of July!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy 4th of July Sandy. I am on the mend. That barn really is a nice looking barn for a Mennonite barn. They take such good care of everything. Happy 4th! Carol

      Delete