Thursday, June 27, 2019

The Barn Series, Day 5 - Jim Beam

We have Jim Beam Distillery as our barn showcase today. Remember yesterday we were in Loretto, Kentucky, at Maker's Mark Distillery. Today we are about 40 miles north in Clermont, Kentucky, outside Bardstown, at Jim Beam Distillery, another best selling bourbon globally.


Jim Beam hails back to 1795 (excluding the prohibition) and still reigns supreme as a top selling bourbon whiskey brand globally. Johannes Beam distilled the first bottle of Jim Beam. The original name was Bohm, but after immigrating to Kentucky from Germany, the family changed it to Beam. Johannes distilled the first bottle before prohibition and after probibition Jacob Beam started the company in 1935. The name was changed later to Jim Beam honoring James Beam, the Master Distiller for 40 years. A beautiful gray barn was built to accommodate a stillhouse where visitors can taste and purchase the Jim Beam brand.


The actual tasting done by master distillers is actually done in this barn, if my information serves me correctly. The ricking barn you see in the background is where the whiskey ages in rack after rack of barrels. A rickhouse is also called a rackhouse.


I love what the brand did to one of the silos at the distillery painting it stark white and giving it all the trappings of the brand. I love the images of the ancestors of the brand on the side.


The old barn that you can see as you drive down the highway got a new coat of white paint and many a Jim Beam logo. I love the face lift they did at Jim Beam recently. Did you know the Jim Beam Distillery is right across the street from Bernheim Arboreteum, one of my old favorite stomping grounds when I lived in Louisville.

I know what you're thinking. We are on Day 5 of The Barn Series and we haven't even gotten out of Kentucky. Amazing! That's my great home state for you. Now as I write this post I am not positive where I am taking you tomorrow or even if we will get out of the state of Kentucky, but if you come along with me, I promise another good time. See you then. ENJOY!

Linking to Metamorphosis Monday

6 comments :

  1. Nice barns! I love reading the history of buildings. Did you taste??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I didn't taste. But I love the history about all these great distilleries in KY too. Carol

      Delete
  2. It's a small world, I have quilt and fabric marking pencils. their make is BOHM.!!! and yes, they are German made. Love the tall silo, just a massive bottle with all the signwriting. Carry on with your travels, you might get to the border soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know where is up next but it will be nice taking a drive down memory lane. Hope all is well with you and Hugh. Carol

      Delete
  3. Carol, I heard on the radio today that two warehouses full of Jim Beam burned. Were they here?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were in another county called Woodford County where Jim Beam has a lot of ricking barns. About 45,000 barrels went up in flames due to a lightning strike. Fortunately, it was not very aged bourbon so that was good for the business. Carol

      Delete