Monday, June 24, 2019

The Barn Series - Day 2 - Stonewall Farm

I am thrilled you made the decision to come along with me on this trip back in time, as I reminisce about the many barns I have had the pleasure of capturing photographs of over the past decade. If I had to rate some of the barns I have seen along the Bluegrass Scenic Byway, the famed road that runs between Midway and Lexington, in central Kentucky, this barn would be in the top five on that list. Yesterday, we visited Manchester Farms, one of the most iconic horse farms in Lexington, second to Calumet Farms. Today's barn heralds from this same gorgeous region of Kentucky, and I can say, has been home to many a stallion and mare as this thoroughbred franchise is famous for.


This is famed Stonewall Farm, situated smack dab in the center of the 'Horse Capital of the World.' It is truly the perfect setting with its beautiful lake and fountain and, of course, always present historic limestone wall that runs the length of the farm along the byway. Every time I see the limestone wall that separates the road from the pastures, an emotion like known other wells up in me. That wall says it all. You are in the 'Horse Capital of the World.' Stonewall has bred many champions over the years, but I believe what they are as famous for is the beautiful fields and barns that make up the property. I often wonder what this barn would look like a hundred years from now as a new photographer stops to capture its beauty. Every barn began its story brand spanking new before it became weathered and worn. I try to keep this in mind every time I stop to photograph a barn.

Our first two posts on this journey back in time have found us at two stunning horse farms in the famed Bluegrass Region. No matter where we venture to, I know you will enjoy the ride. I miss photographing the Bluegrass Region, but I know some day I will be back in Kentucky and will call it home again. Once it is in your blood you cannot get it out. While I love the great state of Tennessee and it's rugged beauty, Kentucky is in my bones. I am so glad you came along today on this journey. I hope to see you again tomorrow. ENJOY!

Linking to The Barn Collective

8 comments :

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Bob. I love photographing barns and will be sharing a few more barn images as the week and month goes by. Hope you will stop back by. Carol

      Delete
  2. Another beauty! I remember seeing a few farms when we traveled through that area. Photography wise, you live in a great place. Beautiful farms, close to the mountains, and not that far from the sea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so happy to be close to the bluegrass region and the Great Smoky Mountains not to mention an eight hours drive to the Gulf or the Atlantic. Carol

      Delete
  3. I looked at it more on Google, is it for sale? The barn is magnificent, the indoor arena, stalls and so much more, I thought this was the home, instead of the equine facility.What a grand place to visit.Thanks for your stunning photo on the " Trip to the Barns".

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe they're selling. But there it is. It's a huge place too. Carol

    ReplyDelete
  5. We all looked at it again, and the price is US 15 million plus dollars. I could live in the barn but not the home, too much. Trees and a huge acreage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. $15 million. OMG! Jean that's unbelievable. It might be on the market for a bit unless a Sultan or King of somewhere buys it. Lord. Carol

      Delete