Sunday, January 21, 2018

The Pelican Brief

I know what you're thinking. I used a play on words. Well, you would be right. You see I spent a brief time today photographing the beautiful American White Pelicans that finally made their way back to Old Hickory Lake along the peninsula where I live. There are two peninsulas in Hendersonville where the lake runs up both sides of those peninsulas for several miles.


In this first image, the late day sun was shining right on the Pelicans as they floated along the lake. This is one of the best images I have ever gotten of the American White Pelicans. I wished there had been a little more light but I like the way the sun is shining on the birds.


It's not easy photographing these birds on Old Hickory Lake as most of the background is going to be the back yards and docks from the houses directly across the lake. This image seemed somewhat noise free for the most part. Basically, there were Pelicans up and down the entire lake along this peninsula everywhere. I suppose you could say they have made themselves at home here on the lake.


Leaving the Pelicans, I ran errands, and afterwards before going home, I stopped for a few more minutes to snap photos of the birds. The sun was shining a tad more too. The wind had picked up making the water choppy, but I captured a couple more photos in spite of it.

We started out in Tennessee this week with sub zero temperatures. It was minus 1 degree last Sunday night. Monday brought an ice storm and later in the day snow. We averaged around 2-3 inches total with about an eighth of an inch of ice under it. It made for hazardous driving and tons of school closings. Fast forward one week to today. It is 65 degrees and balmy. The flu is ravaging every state across the U.S. and Canada too. This H1N2 strain is the worst one and apparently that's what most people are getting. I hope wherever you are you are warm and healthy and the sun is shining brightly. I'll be back with a few Duck images in a few days. Have a great week. ENJOY!

6 comments :

  1. Those Pelicans are quite the amazing birds! Never see them up here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. I agree, these birds are something. Carol

      Delete
  2. John Grisham, eat your heart out with these photos!!! Beautiful, they are so graceful. Keep warm and well up North.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jean. So glad you like them. Carol

      Delete