Thursday, October 15, 2015

Purple Mexican Sage

A hearty bunch of Mexican Bush Sage was blooming next to the walkway behind the Botanical Hall at Cheekwood Botanical Gardens last weekend. Its brilliant purple hues were shining starkly in the harsh afternoon light. A woody shrub, Mexican Sage has 3-4 foot long stems covered in deep purple blooms.


If you look closely, you can make out the velvety texture on each tiny bloom. Add that velvety feel with the deep purple hue and it's a winner in my book. If I had a flower garden, this would be the first shrub I would plant. This hardy shrub blooms from Spring through Fall. And yes, you guessed it. Hummingbirds, butterflies and bees love these blooms. ENJOY!

2 comments :

  1. It is very beautiful. I've had Russian sage in my gardens which looks similar but has thinner stalks. I had to get rid of it as it got too big. Maybe I'll look for the Mexican sage next spring. Enjoy the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful flowers.....I hate to see winter come and not be able to see the colors.

    ReplyDelete