Monday, August 31, 2015

Beautiful Fall Creek Falls

Just outside of Nashville, about an hour's drive east, sits the rugged Cumberland Plateau. The plateau is the southern part of the Appalachian Plateau in the Appalachian Mountains. It stretches in eastern Tennessee from Alabama all the way to northern Kentucky and rises over 1000 feet above the region around it. To say it is a waterfall lover's 'paradise' is putting it mildly. A few of the major waterfalls in the area include Fall Creek Falls, Rock Island Falls, Cummins Falls and Burgess Falls.


The largest and most visited state park in Tennessee is Fall Creek Falls State Park. I spent an afternoon at the park photographing the infamous 256 foot Fall Creek Falls which is the largest waterfall east of the Mississippi River. Fall Creek State Park has numerous waterfalls, cascades, gorges, streams and even a large lake. There is also an inn with a restaurant and an outfitters shop and general store in the park.


In Fall Creek Falls State Park you can view Piney Falls, Cane Creek Falls and Cane Creek Cascades. I was able to take a hike to a suspension bridge and catch a glimpse of Piney Falls through the foliage. It was getting late in the day so I didn't drive to Cane Creek Falls. Photographing Fall Creek Falls with Fall foliage surrounding it is on tap for my next visit. Having forgotten my tripod clamp on this trip, these images were captured while my camera rested on the barrier at the overlook to minimize camera shake. I was surprised they came out as well as they did considering I didn't use my tripod.


This outcropping is situated to the left of Fall Creek Falls at the overlook. You feel as though this beautiful gift of this spectacular waterfall is more than enough, and then you turn and see this gorgeous limestone outcropping jutting far out into the gorge. So beautiful.


This last image of the enormous gorge was taken along the drive through the park. What magnitude this gorge area is. It is amazing to think all of these gorges and waterfalls are situated within one state park, but it's true. This was my first adventure to the Cumberland Plateau, but definitely not my last. What a way to spend an afternoon. There were areas within the park especially around the gorges that reminded me of the Smoky Mountains. ENJOY!

1 comment :