Sunday, June 21, 2015

Prairie Coneflowers, Couchville Cedar Glade State Natural Area

Today was not the best day to take a short hike at Couchville Cedar Glade State Natural Area near Hermitage. I did manage to hike about a half mile into the glade before the oppressive heat turned me back. This is a very small natural area east of Nashville and is one of the best examples of a real cedar glade left in middle Tennessee. A small parking lot sits right off the highway and a one mile loop trail takes you throughout the glade.


The many different native species of wildflowers that grow here, especially the rare 'Federally Endangered' Tennessee Coneflower, were amazing to see blooming in close proximity to one another. I counted at least six different species on my walk. On a much cooler day, this would be the perfect wildflower hike. With many different species to choose from, I decided to feature the Prairie Coneflower in this post. I took several images of the Tennessee Coneflower and some of the beautiful Queen Anne's Lace which I will post later. I also have several other wildflower species I captured images of that I can't readily identify. Did you happen to catch the fact that it is officially Summer. After my walk today, I believe it. Boy was it a scorcher out there. ENJOY!

1 comment :