Sunday, February 8, 2015

Sunset, Lake Michigan


As I sat on a bench next to the walkway at Holland State Park in mid July, the sun was moving low in the sky, and sadly before dropping to the horizon, a bit of cloud cover set in. I peered way out and saw this lone sailboat adrift on Lake Michigan. It is written in many, many articles that the western Lake Michigan shoreline with its quaint, and I might add, plentiful beach towns is America's best kept secret. And they would be right. Every beach town I visited from Saugatuck, and points south and north, there were very few tourists or visitors compared to the well known beach towns in Florida, or along the Texas or California coasts. This one aspect made for a pleasant journey in and around the small towns, not to mention the shoppes, the beaches and the restaurants.


One might ask, why would I want to travel from Kentucky to the shores of Lake Michigan in the Lower Peninsula. All you need do is visit there once to discover exactly what I did. Spending several nights in Holland, driving north and south to visit the beach towns, then driving slightly farther north to Traverse City, and again visiting more beach towns, made for the perfect itinerary. For the second time in my life, I was able to take in beautiful Sleeping Bear Dunes, and finally make the mile long hike to Empire Bluff. As I drove up and down the peninsula, I was treated to many a cherry farm with red ripe cherries, heavily laden hanging from the trees, row after row. I passed many a blueberry field resplendent with ripe blueberries as I drove north along the shore. On my initial trip to Michigan I drove to the Upper Peninsula and photographed the Pictured Rocks National Seashore. What a gorgeous area, rugged and virtually untamed. Love to get back there some day to photograph the Moose which are plentiful in that area. I hope you enjoyed my look back at my travels to Michigan. It's such a beautiful place to spend time outdoors. I hope a beautiful sunset graces your horizon today. ENJOY!

Linking to Sunlit Sundays

11 comments :

  1. I've always heard how beautiful the lower peninsula of Lake Michigan is. Beautiful sunset and beautiful description of your travels there. Makes me want to pack my bags -- when winter is over!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love so much about this. The line sailing boat. I love sailing and can so imagine how wonderful it would be to be there. And then ripe cherries and blueberries. Yummy x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful sunset shot! I had such a wonderful l trip to the UP with girlfriends several years ago. We visited Mary who has a family cabin there. However, it took forever to fly into MN and then drive 8 hours to the tip if the peninsula! Its uncrowded and untamed landscape was gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a gorgeous sunset shot. I love the golden light. I remember your posts of your trip to Michigan and it sounded so nice there. Some place I'll never see but we have the Atlantic coast in Canada and Maine for a similar experience. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a beautiful photo - sailing is so peaceful and relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful sunset shot.I think the Great Lakes, all five of them, are photogenic. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. A gorgeous, golden shot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's clear that you enjoyed your trip to Michigan very much. It would be nice to see the sunset over the lake on a winter's day; I'm enjoying how the daylight hours, once again, are creeping into the early evening.

    ReplyDelete