Sunday, July 27, 2014

Weathered Barn, Charles Olsen Historic Preserve

As you travel the main state road around Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore, you will pass Charles Olsen Historic Preserve situated in Port Oneida. In 1918, this old weathered barn was built up against the hillside. Today, along with the adjacent farmhouse, it is part of a project to preserve these structures by Preserve Historic Sleeping Bear. Charles Olsen, the original owner of the farm, built this type of barn structure to house cattle in the lower section and hay in the upper section. Normally I see these types of barns out west where cattle ranchers are more prominent.

The day before I took these images, I saw this old weathered barn and got a glimpse of the historic preservation sign and was a tad curious. On my drive south from Leland the next day, I passed the barn and decided to capture a few images when I noticed these beautiful wildflowers blooming in a field nearby. I have to say I tire of taking the standard barn image as barns are a staple everywhere you travel, so finding this patch of wildflowers was a plus.

Charles Olsen raised cattle, but he was also was an avid horseman. He actually maintained state road 22 which traverses this area around the dunes before the highway department took over.

As I got out of my car and walked a short way back to the wildflower field, I wondered what flower this was and discovered online today that they are Everlasting Peas or perhaps you might call them Sweet Peas. I was amazed at the many, many Everlasting Peas growing in abundance along the two main state roads near Sleep Bear Dunes. They are so beautiful I just had to get a close up to share with you.

It has stormed here since last evening. The lightning and wind was atrocious around 10 p.m. last night. Thunder kept me awake and then woke me up again this morning. I'm off to finish a home decor project. Have a wonderful Sunday. ENJOY!

Linking to Barn Collective

10 comments :

  1. Barns with Sweet Peas, superb. They flowers that grow wild here are smaller ( well, the ones I have seen) than the commercial variety, your colour is stunning. Cheers,Jean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by Jean. I loved photographing the Sweet Peas. They were so beautiful.

      Delete
  2. These photos of your travels are wonderful, Carol. They (almost) make me want to brave eastern heat and humidity! Home decor project? Do tell!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barb thanks so much for your comments. I love them and am so glad you are enjoying my travel photos. I decided to paint my living room as I wanted a color that would allow all of my woodwork to pop more. The room has 9 doors and one doorway if you can believe it. I went with Valspar's Cream in my Coffee. And I love the look now.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Carol, for joining the barn link up. The flowers in the foreground are a great touch. I hope you can join again next time.

      Delete
  3. How sweet with the sweet peas. Tom The Backroads Traveller

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful setting for this barn and the sweet peas are such a great border. I really enjoy sweet peas....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the barn with the beautiful flowers in the foreground! Basically, I love seeing a warm photo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this barn. In fact, I love most barns and think they will one day be a thing of the past so I photograph all that I can.

    Aren't sweet peas so photogenic?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I see many barns too, and agree that much of the time it will not make a good photo, but just a basic snapshot. Thanks for sharing these beauties this week!

    ReplyDelete