Thursday, January 16, 2014

The Cranes, Up and Down

Up, up and away the Sandhill Cranes lift off traveling to an adjacent field to graze. And then as surely as they fly away . . . more come in for a landing having foraged nearby. Cranes are creatures of habit repeating flight paths, repeating overwintering roosts, and so forth. As my third year of photographing the Sandhill Cranes comes to a close soon, I know I will miss them.


Afer the Polar Vortex moved decidedly into the deep South of the United States last week, I drove last weekend to the Bottoms to see if the Cranes had made it through the cold, blustery days and nights. They chose to move on either closer in to the wildlife refuge or points farther south. Having heard some chatter about Crane sightings in various nearby Kentucky lakes and farm fields, my guess is some headed farther South.

Before the overwintering season wraps up, I wanted to share a few more images specifically of the Cranes lifting off and landing. The most interesting is the landing. They point their long beaks downward toward the ground and allow their long feet and legs to fall towards the Earth as they glide slowly in and fall to the ground and touch down. It's a remarkable experience to watch as they are such large birds. Getting really good images can be tough. While I enjoy the Cranes and try to photograph them foraging and performing their mating dances on the ground, I really enjoy photographing them in flight more. Wouldn't it be something to see a nest with a fresh clutch of Cranes with their little tan fuzzy, furry bodies. They're at least a good sized bird as they emerge from their huge eggshells.

Obviously, I have to keep the winter doldrums from setting in so on the sunny days when the dark, dreary clouds have parted, I have traveled to the parks and refuges to photograph the wildlife and Winter scenery, especially if we have had snow. The new banner I posted today reflects the wildlife images I have taken since mid December. It's hard to believe that I have captured all of these images in a short month's time, but when you set your mind to it you can accomplish most anything. Now tell me, how is your Winter fairing? Are you outdoors participating in Winter sports or inside with a warm drink in hand? ENJOY!

5 comments :

  1. So graceful in the first photo and so gangly in the landing one. You've seen such a lot of wildlife this winter, Carol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You found the perfect word Barb, gangly. I hope to see more wildlife before winter is out.

      Delete
  2. Carol, your new banner is beautiful. You are fortunate you have such a nice winter climate to get out and about capturing nature's beauties. These sand cranes are beautiful creatures. I've never seen one so to see your photos of them taking off and especially the landing ones, is really amazing to m. I've been mostly in the house warm drink in hand. :-) It's been too snowy, cold, slippery, foggy to go out and take photos. And, we're back into the deep freeze again next week! :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. wonderful photographic opportunity Carol; you were in the right place at the right time. I'm interested to learn what camera you're using; I'd say it's got a big prime lens at the end? Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I yes a Nikon D5100 and. 300mm lens. Fortunately the pond was not that wide from where the Otters were standing.

      Delete