Thursday, October 10, 2013

Yew Dell Gardens, A Fall Walk

My good intentions were dashed. I tried so hard to get back to Yew Dell Gardens during the Summer to take some photos of the beautiful flower garden in full bloom, but sadly I missed it. That's quite alright, because Fall is a beautiful time to visit Yew Dell, as is any time.

Last week we took a walk around the wildflower meadow at Bernheim. Now come join me as we take a walk around the beautifully landscaped grounds at Yew Dell. Almost immediately we arrive at the Castle which stands just off the main entrance and gift shop. Here the Castle's wall is being overtaken by long strands of green ivy trailing up the side of the old stone walls. The huge Elephant Ears are so large its as though they are greeting each visitor who enters.

Walking past the Castle, I stepped down into one of the gardens and turned to snap an image of the Castle as I stood behind some tall grasses.

Then I made my way around the gardens where Fall is obviously taken hold and all of the beautiful blooms are mostly gone. But I still love the colors that Fall leaves behind.

A White Sulphur Butterfly was busily feeding on what was left of Summer's blooms.

As I walked back toward the north end of the grounds, I turned to snap this image showing a portion of the gardens that lay just beneath the courtyard and the Castle itself. It's a beautiful place and so serene.

Then I decided to take a walk over toward the other gardens on the grounds and while doing so walked down a path where I turned to find this view looking by at me. More tall grasses glowing in Fall's light. If you ever get to Louisville, Yew Dell is a fifteen minute drive northeast in Crestwood. There's a minimal charge that is well worth every dime. Oh, did I mention they have hiking trails. They do and one day I've got to give them a test drive. I hope you're enjoying our walks. I know I am. Have a wonderful evening all. ENJOY!


2 comments :

  1. It is a very beautiful spot to relax and enjoy nature. The castle house is amazing. Thanks for sharing your visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! It was a wonderful tour.

    ReplyDelete