Thursday, September 19, 2013

Photographing Great White Egrets

As you surely know by now, I spent some time on the Eastern Shore of Virginia earlier in the Summer and while there I captured many, many images of large wading birds and shore birds at Chincoteague National Wildlife Refuge. Here's a few varying poses of the Great White Egrets I took one afternoon as I drove along the main road which runs parallel to the lagoon. I was truly amazed to find so many of them at one time in one area. Obviously, the lagoon is a popular place to hunt for a meal.

There was a Great White Egret in the dried brush . . .

A Great White Egret in the lagoon . . .

A Great White Egret hiding in the bushes . . .

And a Great White Egret perched on a large downed tree. On this particular afternoon the sun was in full force, so many of the images didn't show quite as much detail in the feathers as I would like, but I was happy nonetheless with what I captured. ENJOY!

2 comments :

  1. Wow, I would be so very happy with those pics, a magnificent wader, standing tall and proud. Cheers, Jean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bushes make a great foil for the egret. I was thinking you captured the details so well - white in bright daylight is just so difficult.

    ReplyDelete