Friday, July 26, 2013

Tricolored Heron, Chincoteague National Wildlife Refuge, Virginia

Just another day in paradise! That's how it felt on this particular day at Chincoteague National Wildlife Refuge, on the Eastern Shore of Virginia. Where else can you travel and find Life List birds everywhere you turn. At least where I'm concerned anyway. I probably don't need to remind you that I hail from the great state of Kentucky where Bluegrass and Thoroughbreds reign supreme. But here on the Eastern Shore, the horses aren't corralled. They run wild going where the wind takes them. And the refuge is wild with shore birds and wading birds numbering in the hundreds.
As I pulled off of the road along the refuge motor route, I sat in my car and watched this Tricolored Heron as he stealthily stalked his prey. The late afternoon light was upon us reflecting in the emerald green waters of the lagoon. With his reflection staring back at him, he stood stone cold still, the only motion were tiny ripples in the water as insects came and went.

All that comes to my mind at this point is magnicifant. God's creature standing proud and tall and working the waters for a meal. Have a great weekend all. ENJOY!

6 comments :

  1. These are great, Carol!! I have a lot of catching up to do on your blog. Looks like a great place to visit.
    Take care,
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please stop by more often. I miss you. and thank you. Carol

      Delete
  2. Hi Carol, It's great to hear from you again... Been back to Biltmore recently? We try to go every 3-4 months... Want to go back in August to see the sunflowers...

    Gorgeous bird photos... Bet the Chincoteague National Wildlife Refuge is a great place to visit and get some fabulous photos.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't made it back to Biltmore. Take photos so I can see them, please. Thank you for stopping by. Carol

      Delete
  3. You got some stunning shots on vacation, Carol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. AnonymousJuly 28, 2013

    What a great find. Well done.

    ReplyDelete