Saturday, June 15, 2013

Waterfall, Tremont Section, GSMNP


Back from a short trip, first to Atlanta for a business meeting, then to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park for some recreation. One of the last things I did before I left today was to drive the route through Tremont in the park. Tremont stands for "tree" and "mountain". In the 1800's Tremont used to be a pioneer Appalachian community and logging town. The government purchased the land in the early 1900's to add to the national park grounds. Tremont present day is a gravel road which meanders about six miles into the park with the Middle Prong of the Little River running parallel to the road. Lynn Camp Prong and Thunderhead Prong of the Little River also both converge in Tremont making for some pretty amazing rushing waters. Today was no exception.


My visit to the Smokies was to work on photographing water. It's not easy to get a great image of rushing water or waterfalls. The composition can be tough. I stood for some time working my shutter speed to get the best waterfall effect. Some compositions that you think would be perfect aren't. Thursday afternoon torrential rains fell throughout the park. Everywhere I went Friday and Saturday the river was gushing over the rocks and boulders, but especialy in Tremont. I'm amazed every time I visit this park at how gorgeous it is. Normally I see more wildflowers on my trips here, but I usually visit in April or May. June didn't find as many wildflowers. Hope everyone is having a great weekend. It's good to be home. ENJOY!

6 comments :

  1. Gorgeous!! Superb slow shutter photo, you have that perfected beautifully. Cheers from Jean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AnonymousJune 18, 2013

    I love your water shots. Is one is exceptionally pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, it looks like you got that water picture right! Spectacular! We were there for 3days in April, and it truly was beautiful. Tried some water pix myself along Roaring Fork, but nowhere near as great as your picture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful image Carol, so refreshing and peaceful looking

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super image Carol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. AnonymousJune 29, 2013

    I always love your waterfall shots. The bears are pretty cool too!

    ReplyDelete