Monday, October 1, 2012

Tobacco Barn


The old black tobacco barn that sits along the Bluegrass Scenic Byway near Midway, Kentucky was filled to the brim with tobacco yesterday. It was difficult to get a decent image of this barn with the exception of this one vantage point. I liked the leaves in the image as it adds to the Fall charm but it does make it difficult to see the barn. I love the old barn windows wide open so you can see the tobacco curing inside.
My parents had a cousin who owned a farm right down the road from the Maker's Mark Distillery in Loretto, Kentucky. Dot and Elmer raised beef cows and planted tobacco fields. Both of my parents are gone, as are their cousins who owned the farm down in Kentucky, but I'll always remember standing in the doorway of their old barn at the farm and watching the older kids and the adults putting up tobacco one Fall. I never had to help and was very happy about that. At the time I was too young. It's a very rainy day Monday and perhaps will carry over into Tuesday. Hope your week is off to a good start. ENJOY!

4 comments :

  1. I remember the old tobacco farms in Lancaster County, PA, too - this one reminds me of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! I think I like the darker barn the best, but then, they are all so pretty.

    Can you smell the tobacco as you passed the barn?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the farming on this scene.

    ReplyDelete