Friday, April 6, 2012

Bobwhite Quail

One early evening last week I made a quick trip to Bernheim to see what flowering trees were in bloom. I found the Crab Apple trees were blooming in full force. Driving the main parameter road that runs the entire circumference of the tall grass meadow, I spotted an animal scurring across the road as fast as he could go. He was about 100 feet in front of my car.

I jumped out of the car and took a few photos knowing they would be poor quality as the little fellow was too far away. To my surprise, after several Google searches, I discovered this fellow is a Bobwhite Quail, not a Pheasant, which is what I thought originally.

I have never seen a Bobwhite Quail before so you can imagine my surprise at being so lucky to see this little guy. Oh, and by the way, he was not alone. There must have been six or seven of these little guys scurrying for cover. He was apparently the last one across the road. Have a great weekend everyone. ENJOY!

5 comments :

  1. I can imagine how you felt. He is gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen one of these in years. The lighting in the second shot is very nice.

    Happy Easter to you and your family, Carol. Are you going to your sister's house?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never seen a quail before ever. So I feel pretty lucky. Yes, I'm going to my sisters. There will be eight of us having dinner. No doubt she'll have chocolate easter bunnies for me. I can do without the extra pounds, but I'm going to indulge anyway. Carol

      Delete
  3. Carol, good job spotting the Bobwhite! They are beautiful birds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chance meetings are often the best! Have a great weekend, Carol.

    ReplyDelete