Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Japanese Crab Apple Trees, Bernheim Arboretum & Research Forest

Just a few images from an early evening visit to Bernheim recently. I wanted to catch up on what flowering trees were in bloom this week.

Such a beautiful area just to walk around and take in all the blooms. The smell isn't bad either.

There must have been twenty flowering trees in this one area. It felt like I was in a fairy tale.

This particular image was taken as I was walking back to the car facing the sun. Lake Nevin is in the background. A few weeks ago the Magnolia Hybrids and Japanese Magnolias were blooming. Now it's the Crab Apples.

These trees surround the wildflower meadow that I frequented often last year, which is situated right inside the main entrance to Bernheim. Unfortunately, they cut the wildflower meadow back, and even did some controlled burning. I hope it grows back out by Fall. No doubt, if you've been following me for a while, you remember all the gorgeous images from Spring and Fall of the wildflower meadow. I suppose one has to expect the groundskeeper to know what's best. If you look at the image above and you see what looks like sticks growing up in the grass, that's actually what's left of one of the wildflower meadows after the mowing and burning.

They also did a controlled burn of the lower half of the tall grass prairie. It feels so open now when I'm driving through. When they do these burns, they leave nothing, and I do mean nothing behind. We had a storm come through today and some decent size hail. What I wouldn't give for one week of peace and quiet around here. ENJOY!

2 comments :

  1. Beautiful! I don't know which I like better, the blossoms or the limbs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carol. What a wonderful sight. We haven't seen any real rainfall for months so not sure how the gardens will cope over the coming months.

    ReplyDelete