Monday, March 14, 2011

Barn Art!




As you drive to Harrison Crawford State Forest right off I-64 in southcentral Indiana, you'll find this Mail Pouch Barn sitting along the roadside. Also in the area is a great cave called Wyandotte Cave which isn't far from the forest itself. And, this is the same state forest where as you cross over the overpass at the entrance to the park, you will see the Green River below (I posted an image last week of canoers on the river). This was the second trip I'd made to the state forest in about two years and remembered the barn. The second time I drove by I turned around and stopped and took a few picks. It was such a beautiful day and the barn looked so gorgeous draped by all of the trees around it.

The second barn, See Rock City, actually sits about 500 yards from the entrance to Maker's Mark Distillery in Loretto, Kentucky, up on a small hill. I took quite a few images of the distillery one Sunday afternoon on my first visit to the distillery. And, I couldn't resist photographing the barn too.

I've posted the barn with the quilt on it in the past, but still felt it was appropriate today. It sits along the Bluegrass Scenic Byway between Midway and Lexington in Kentucky.

If you visit Kentucky, Southern Indiana and/or Tennessee, you will notice we're not lacking with barns reading Mail Pouch and See Rock City or Lookout Mountain on many a barn throughout the area. I don't know if you have them in your area, but there is also a collection of barns featuring various quilt patterns on the side of the barn. I actually came across a website for the folks that paint those images. Who knew the Mail Pouch would go to the wayside and quilt images would come into vogue.

What is it about barns that draw us in? I believe it's because they're older and warn from the weather. That leaves them with an air of character and who isn't drawn to character. And it doesn't hurt to have art on the barn either.

It's raining again this week here. Mother Nature needs to turn off the spigot, please. ENJOY!

1 comment :

  1. This is a nice collection. I had seen the last one before, and just love it.

    ReplyDelete