Saturday, August 8, 2009

Goose Lake State Natural Area, Morris, Illinois



Goose Lake Prairie State Natural Area is a tallgrass prairie located 50 miles southwest of Chicago and displays the largest stand of tall grass prairie that remains in Illinois. I visited the prairie almost ten years ago and found the tallgrasses somewhat taller with virtually millions of butterflies flittering around me. It was an unusual year and the lady at the visitor's center remembered that particular season well. This trip netted beautiful flowers along the trail and many a bird chirping in the meadow oftentimes unseen hidden by the tallgrasses. Trails wind through the prairie for several miles with views of marshes and ponds along the way. The utter natural feel you get while walking the trails with the tallgrasses and flowers looming over you has a rather calming effect. I actually slowed my pace and stopped to look at all of the different blooms along the trail. If ever you find yourself in the area, I hope you'll plan a visit to Goose Lake. These are my the digital images I photographed. I'll post my slides at a later date.

No comments :

Post a Comment